Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Molly Labor Story


Here's my story... Monday, November 26th. Felt a little tired, crampy and generally blah all day, but nothing out of the ordinary. Went to bed a little early. Woke up around 11pm because I had to go to the bathroom and had felt a good solid "bam" of baby head-butting down there. My water broke on the toilet. I tried to lie down in bed to make sure it was real. LOL I couldn't even get in bed!
midnight: called the dr and he said come on in to L&D to get checked out. We finished packing up some stuff.
1am: got to the hospital. Was put on monitors and checked shortly after by a midwife who said "if your waters aren't ruptured, I'm not a midwife." I was about 1-2cm and 50% effaced and I was told baby is facing forwards (not backwards like it should be) and baby has hair. Monitors showed I was contracting about every 2 mins. Sent to walk the halls.
2-2:30 am: admitted, still walking the halls. Started using my ball to lean on while I was standing and ball is on the bed.
4am: checked and about 4cm and 70 or 80% effaced. still walking a bit. Sitting on the ball.
contractions getting more painful. After it being suggested by different people, I take a warm shower.
5:30am: I am TIRED and the contractions are coming faster and more painful. My back is just killing me and nothing is really helping. I ask my nurse what my options are. We decide to do an epidural because an IV might wear off when I need it and some other reasons.
6am: get checked- I have got to 7cm and 80% all by myself! Got an IV for fluids and my monitors hooked back up.
6:15-6:30am: got the epidural. I can still feel the contractions, but not nearly as bad and I got to rest a bit.
9-ish I started feeling the urge to push so I told them. We were trying to wait until 10 o'clock for the dr for some reason. But the dr checked me about 9:15 and said "yup, 10 cm fully dilated." but then the baby's heartbeat dropped from around 140 to 50, to 40, to 30, that fast. So he said "we're doing this now" and they quickly set up the room and stuff and before I knew it they said "Push as hard as you can" and I just had to keep pushing even though I wasn't like having a contraction and the dr said "you're not going to like this" and pulls out the forceps. Then I hear "cut there". I screamed as they gave me the episiotomy. And then she was born in minutes and I only got to push about 4 times. The cord was wrapped around her neck once. It seemed like it took longer for them to clean her up and stitch me up than the delivery did.

Molly Rose
born Tuesday, November 27th @ 9:38am
weight 7lbs 1 oz
length 20 inches

It was kinda scary, but there are positives. Even though I didn't really want to have to have an epidural, I'm soooo glad I did, because without it the delivery could have been very painful for me. Forceps sounds scary, but I had the one doctor who still knows how to use them and I'm glad he did. He got her out quick and she didn't have a cone head from the vacuum. She had a mark on her cheek that went away within the first day or 2.

She's precious and I love her and I love being a Mommy. Any questions?

No comments: