Thursday, August 6, 2009

Ruby Lee

Wow. I have been having contractions for the last 3.5 weeks or so. Yesterday, the 5th, was no different. I was tired and crampy (and tired of being crampy).
After we put Molly to bed at 8pm, I realized that I was having contractions, as usual, but they were pretty irregular, as usual. I started paying attention and at about 9:30 they were 15 minutes apart. Ok, no biggie. By 10:30 they were 7-8 minutes apart. I told Corey "I think we're going to have a baby today". He called his sister and I called the dr's office and suddenly my contractions were 4-5 minutes apart. By the time we got to the hospital at 11:30 they were 2-3 minutes apart.
I sat in triage for about an hour. Why do you have to fill out pre-admit paperwork if they still ask you the same questions 18 times? The midwife checked me at about 12:30 and I was 6 cms and my water broke when she checked me. I was on all 4s leaning on my birth ball.
A little after 1am I made it to my room. I was standing swaying leaning on the bed. Then I got in the shower and did a lot of swaying in there. I was also groaning, moaning, etc. (My throat is sore today). I probably could have pushed long before I did, but I didn't think I was ready, even though the nurses and drs told me I was. I think I was scared of pushing.
So around 2:30 we started pushing and it took a little while and I had a small ~1cm episiotomy and burned like crazy, but at 2:47am Ruby Lee was born! A little girl! We totally thought we were having a boy (due to a slip of the tongue by a doctor)!
Immediately after she was out I was smiling and laughing. Nothing like the rollercoaster ride that the epidural with Molly put me on.
I was also completely shocked when they said she weighed 8pounds 10oz! What?! and is 20 1/4 inches long.
Ruby had some fluid left in her lungs, but she's dealing with it. She nurses pretty well too, and has had a few poopy diapers today. She's getting her first bath and some testing (hearing & such) done while I type this.
Lots of pictures to come

2 comments:

Rmcq said...

I am so glad that it went so well for you! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be able to go all natural this time too!!

Cheryle said...

yayyyy Penny! I'm so glad everything went so smoothly and that you were able to do it without drugs. She's a big girl!!